[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Ulverston & District Motorcycle Club • View topic - April 13 newsletter

April 13 newsletter

April 13 newsletter

Postby gamma498 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 am

SO THEN, WHAT MAKES A BIKER? IT’S A QUESTION I’VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT LATELY AND IT’S ONE THAT HAS MANY ANSWERS THAT, LIKE A LOT OF SUBJECTS, MAY BE RIGHT BUT DEFINITELY CAN’T BE CLASSED AS WRONG, IT ALL DEPENDS UPON YOUR DEFINITION OF ‘A BIKER’. NOW I, LIKE MANY OF YOU IN THIS CLUB, HAVE HAD A BIKE SINCE I WAS LEGALLY ABLE TO RIDE ONE, STARTING ON A YAMAHA DT50 29 YEARS AGO, NEARLY TO THE DAY, AND SINCE THAT DAY THERE HASN’T BEEN A TIME WHEN I HAVEN’T OWNED AT LEAST ONE MOTORCYCLE. DUE TO THIS I WOULD CONSIDER MYSELF TO BE A BIKER THOUGH I ALSO DON’T NECESSARILY THINK THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE DONE TO BE CONSIDERED A ONE. PEOPLE ARE DRAWN TO BIKES FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS, FREEDOM BEING ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR THINGS THAT COME UP. BEING ON A BIKE JUST GETS YOU AWAY FROM THE HUMDRUM OF LIFE, JUST YOU AND THE OPEN ROAD, ETC, NOT A LOT HOLDS YOU UP, NO ONE NAGGING IN YOUR EAR, YOU CAN JUST GET AWAY FROM IT ALL.
ANOTHER THING THAT TEND TO CLASS YOU AS A BIKER ARE RALLIES, MANY ‘BIKERS’ LOVE A GOOD RALLY AND I KNOW THERE ARE A FEW IN OUR
LITTLE CLUB THAT ARE REGULAR RALLY GOERS, BOTH IN THIS COUNTRY AND ABROAD. IT’S NOT SOMETHING I EVER REALLY GOT INTO AS NONE OF THE LADS I KNOCKED ABOUT WITH WERE VERY INTERESTED IN THAT SCENE BUT I WOULDN’T MIND GIVING IT A GO SOMETIME. THERE WERE A FEW LADS THAT I WORKED WITH IN THE YARD THAT WERE WELL INTO IT AND THEY USED TO BRING THEIR PHOTO’S IN TO WORK AND IT LOOKED A RIGHT LAUGH.
THEN THERE ARE THE OFF-ROADERS, THE TRAIL RIDERS AND MOTOCROSSERS, NOT THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU PICTURE BIKERS BUT THEY ARE BIKERS NONE THE LESS, NOT LEAST WHEN YOU HEAR A GROUP OF RAMBLERS PLAYING HELL WHEN THEY’VE ‘DARED’ TO TRAVEL ON THE SACRED GROUND THAT THEY AMBLE ALONG ON……. ‘BLOODY BIKERS!’.....YOU HEAR THEM GRUMBLE. AS WITH MOST BIKER GROUPS, YOU FIND THEM MOSTLY IN SMALL GROUPS OUT IN THE COUNTRYSIDE, THEIR KICKS NOT COMING FROM SPEED OR PERFORMANCE OR PARTICULARLY AESTHETICS BUT MORE FROM THE CHALLENGE AHEAD BUT ALL THE TIME THEY STICK TOGETHER.
LASTLY, THERE ARE THE SCOOTER RIDERS……………….NOPE, SORRY, CAN’T DO IT, THEY’RE NOT BIKERS……….BLOODY HAIRDRYERS…………WHY WOULD YOU BOTHER?..........AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!
ANYWAY, I GUESS WHAT I’M TRYING TO SAY IS THAT THERE ISN’T ONE THING THAT DEFINES YOU AS A BIKER, THERE’S A MULTITUDE OF THEM AND THERE ARE NO RULES THAT SAY WHICH OF THESE THINGS MAKE YOU A BIKER, THERE ARE NO RIGHTS OR WRONGS, WE ARE JUST BIKERS FULL STOP. WE ALL LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS BUT WE’RE ALL CONNECTED BY A LOVE OF POWERED TWO WHEELERS (AND THREE, IN CERTAIN PEOPLE’S CASE) AND THAT’S A WONDERFUL THING, I CAN’T THINK OF MANY OTHER PASSTIMES THAT CAN UNITE SUCH A DIVERSE GROUP AND LONG MAY IT CONTINUE, NO MATTER WHAT THE POWERS THAT BE TRY TO THROW AT US!

NEW FUEL
LATER THIS YEAR, A NEW TYPE OF PETROL IS GOING TO BE RELEASED IN THE UK CALLED E10. THE EU HAVE SENT OUT A DIRECTIVE THAT SAYS THAT SUPPLIERS SHOULD DILUTE PETROL WITH GREENER ALTERNATIVES SUCH AS ETHANOL. IT WILL BE SOLD ALONGSIDE REGULAR PETROL THAT PRESENTLY HAS 5% ETHANOL, E10 WILL CONTAIN 10% ETHANOL AND MANY MANUFACTURERS HAVE SAID IT MAY HAVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES WITH MANY OF THEIR BIKES AS ETHANOL DAMAGES RUBBER PIPES, CARB JETS AND SEALANTS USED IN MANY PETROL TANKS. IT CAN CAUSE CORROSION INSIDE ENGINES, COULD DAMAGE COPPER PIPES USED ON SOME OLDER ENGINES AND COULD DAMAGE DIAPHRAGMS USED IN OLDER FUEL PUMPS.
PIAGIGIO HAVE COME OUT AND SAID THAT ANY OF THEIR BIKES, WHICH INCLUDE APRILIA’S AND GUZZI’S, MADE BEFORE 2011 WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE, DUCATI SAY ANYTHING OLDER THAN 2007 COULD BE AFFECTED THOUGH MULTISTRADA 620 AND 1000 TANKS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. KAWASAKI LISTS BIKES FROM 2006-ON AS OK AND SUZUKI 2002-ON. HONDA’S FROM 1993 – ON ARE OK AND YAMS AND TRIUMPHS FROM 1990-ON ARE. ALL BEE-EMS ARE OK ALTHOUGH THEY SAY YOU SHOULD TAKE CAUTION WITH OLDER MODELS.
I WONDER HOW HAPPY THE GREEN LOBBY WILL BE WHEN THE WORLD IS COVERED IN PETROL SLICKS COMING FROM EVERY BIKE PARK IN THE WORLD DUE TO ROTTING, LEAKING PETROL PIPES ON OUR BIKES, NEVER MIND THE DANGER IT COULD CAUSE US IF A PIPE FAILS WHILE YOU’RE RIDING. ANOTHER DECISION MADE BY SOME BEAN-COUNTER IN AN OFFICE ME THINKS!

WATCH OUT WATCH OUT THERE’S A DEER ABOUT!
HERE’S SOME NEWS THAT MAY SEND A SHIVER DOWN CLARKY’S SPINE, DEER NUMBERS IN THE UK ARE AT AN ALL TIME HIGH. THERE ARE THAT MANY OF THEM NOW THAT A 60% CULL HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED AS THEY ARE AFFECTING BIODIVERSITY, CAN CARRY DISEASES AND ARE BECOMING RESPONSIBLE FOR MORE ROAD ACCIDENTS THAT EVER BEFORE. SO THERE YOU GO, WATCH OUT FOR FLYING DEER, EH IAN?

WHEN WILL IT ALL END?
YOU KNEW IT WAS COMING, I BET YOU WERE THINKING ‘HE HASN’T MENTIONED THE WEATHER YET!’, WELL, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? THIS TIME LAST YEAR WE WERE BAKING IN TROPICAL TEMPERATURES! OK, AFTER THE HOT SPELL IT RAINED FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR, BUT YOU KNOW WHERE I’M COMING FROM. FOR THE HARDY FEW THAT VENTURED UP TO THE SCOTTISH BIKE SHOW I BELIEVE IT TURNED INTO A BIT OF AN ORDEAL WITH SOME OF THE GUYS ELECTING TO COME HOME WITHOUT ACTUALLY GOING TO THE SHOW AND OUR ANNUAL VIST TO GEORGE HASTWELL POSTPONED BECAUSE OF SNOW. IT WILL BE RESCHEDULED SO WATCH THIS SPACE BUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? GLOBAL WARMING MY ARSE! I DON’T THINK I CAN REMEMBER SEEING SNOW ON THE HILLTOPS FOR THIS LONG, EVER, IT LOOKS LOVELY AS I TRAVEL DOWN WALNEY PROM ON MY WAY HOME EACH DAY BUT I’VE HAD ENOUGH NOW, IT’S TIME IT NAFFED OFF!
COULD THIS BE A SIGN THAT WE MAY GET A SUMMER THIS YEAR OR IS IT JUST GONNA BE ANOTHER MISERABLE YEAR FOR BIKING? I SUPPOSE WE’LL GET WHAT WE GET, WE’LL JUST HAVE TO GET ON WITH IT.

SUZUKI CASHBACK
SUZUKI IS OFFERING £500 CASHBACK ON 10 NEW MODELS IN APRIL.
THE DEAL APPLIES TO ALL GSX-R MODELS, THE GSX650 AND 1250FA, THE GSR750/A AND SFV650 AND SUZUKI'S POPULAR V-STROM 650 ABS ADVENTURE BIKE. COMPLETING THE OFFER ARE SUZUKI'S C800 AND M800 CRUISER MODELS.
ALL SUZUKIS COME WITH COMPREHENSIVE AFTERSALES BACK-UP AS STANDARD, INCLUDING A TWO YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY, 12-MONTH AA COVER, THE MASTER SECURITY TAGGING SYSTEM FOR FREE AND A NATIONWIDE NETWORK OF AUTHORISED SUZUKI DEALERS.

AREN’T THE GOVERNMENT GOOD TO US
THE RECENT BUDGET DIDN’T BRING MANY MOTORING REVELATIONS BUT THERE ARE A COUPLE OF NUGGETS TO TAKE AWAY.
AS WELL AS THE POSTPONEMENT OF THE PREVIOUSLY PLANNED 3P FUEL DUTY INCREASE, ONE OF THE SMALLER CHANGES WAS TO SHIFT ON THE LONG-SINCE-FROZEN DATE AT WHICH ‘CLASSIC’ BIKES AND CARS ARE EXEMPT FROM VED.
IF YOU REMEMBER, IT WAS THE LAST CONSERVATIVE GOVERNMENT, BACK IN THE 1990S, WHICH INTRODUCED A ROLLING 25-YEAR VED CUT-OFF. THE IDEA BEING THAT BY THE TIME A VEHICLE WAS THAT OLD, ITS VARIOUS OWNERS WOULD ALREADY HAVE PAID PLENTY OF ROAD TAX AND THE CHANCES WERE IT WASN’T GOING TO BE DOING MANY MILES. OF COURSE, AS SOON AS LABOUR CAME INTO POWER IN 1997, THEY FROZE THE CUT-OFF DATE – SO ANY VEHICLE REGISTERED BEFORE 1 JANUARY 1973 WAS TAX FREE, WHILE EVERYTHING AFTER THAT PAID THE FULL WHACK.
WITH THE YOUNGEST TAX-FREE CLASSICS NOW MORE THAN 40, THE LATEST BUDGET HAS SHIFTED THE DATE OF EXEMPTION ON, BUT SADLY ONLY BY A SINGLE YEAR. SO IF YOU’VE GOT A 1973 BIKE, CONGRATULATIONS, YOU’VE ONLY GOT ONE MORE YEAR OF TAX TO PAY ON IT. FROM APRIL 2014, WHEN THE LATEST BUDGET’S CHANGES COME INTO FORCE, IT WILL BE TAX FREE.
SHAME THEY DIDN’T REINSTATE THE 25-YEAR-OLD RULE THOUGH. IF THAT HADN’T BEEN CHANGED, ANYTHING PRE 1988 WOULD BE TAX FREE NOW; THAT MEANS GSX-RS, RC30S, CBR600S – A WHOLE GAMUT OF PROPERLY USEABLE MODERN CLASSICS WOULD HAVE BECOME CHEAPER TO RUN.
ANOTHER SMALL BUT NOTEWORTHY CHANGE IS THE FACT THAT SORN DECLARATIONS WON’T HAVE TO BE RENEWED EVERY YEAR – THEY’RE SET TO BECOME OPEN-ENDED AND STAY IN FORCE UNTIL YOUR OFF-THE-ROAD BIKE IS READY TO BE TAXED AGAIN.

BIKE SALES DOWN AGAIN
NEW MOTORCYCLE REGISTRATIONS IN THE UK CONTINUED THEIR DOWNWARD TRAJECTORY LAST MONTH, WITH A 4.6% DROP IN BIKE SALES YEAR-ON-YEAR (COMPARED TO FEBRUARY 2012). A TOTAL OF 3,660 BIKES WERE REGISTERED IN THE MONTH, COMPARED TO 3,835 DURING THE SAME PERIOD A YEAR AGO.
GOOD PERFORMANCES FROM THE NAKED (+7.3%, TO 591 UNITS), TRAIL/ENDURO (+35.2%, TO 307) AND TOURING (+53.4%, TO 89) SEGMENTS WERE COUNTERED BY THE SPORT/TOUR (-46.4%, TO 96 UNITS), ADVENTURE SPORT (-15.9%, TO 318) AND SUPERSPORT (-16.2%, TO 351) SEGMENTS. SCOOTER AND CUSTOM REGISTRATIONS ALSO TOOK SMALL HITS.
IN TERMS OF ENGINE CAPACITY, ONLY THE 126-650CC BAND SAW POSITIVE ACTIVITY, WITH A 11.3% RISE IN SALES. WHILE THE FALL IN SALES OF BIGGER BIKES IS NOT SURPRISING, THE USUALLY STRONG 51-125CC BAND ALSO SUFFERED A SMALL DIP OF 3%, SHIFTING 1,685 UNITS COMPARED TO 1,738 IN FEBRUARY 2012.
THE BEST-SELLING MODELS IN MANY SEGMENTS WERE HONDAS: CBF125 (NAKED & 51-125CC), PCX125 (SCOOTER), CRF250X (TRAIL/ENDURO) AND NC700X (651-1000CC). PREDICTABLY, HONDA STAYED AT THE TOP OF THE SALES CHARTS WITH 600 UNITS, ACCOUNTING FOR NEARLY A FIFTH OF ALL UK TWO-WHEELER SALES, FOLLOWED BY YAMAHA (455), PIAGGO (247) AND TRIUMPH (182).
FEBRUARY'S RANKING OF TOP TEN MANUFACTURERS INCLUDES THREE CHINESE-BIKE BRANDS - LEXMOTO, DIRECT BIKES AND PULSE, AT NO. 6, 7 AND 9 RESPECTIVELY, TOGETHER ACCOUNTING FOR 406 SALES. PULSE'S SCOUT 50 WAS THE MONTH'S BEST-SELLING SCOOTER, WHILE ITS ADRENALINE 125 LED IN THE ADVENTURE SPORT SEGMENT.

MOBILE PHONE EXCUSES
SURREY POLICE HAVE RELEASED DETAILS OF THE EXCUSES GIVEN TO THEIR OFFICERS BY DRIVERS CAUGHT USING THEIR MOBILE PHONES AT THE WHEEL, IN AN ATTEMPT TO RAISE AWARENESS OF THE PROBLEM AND TO HIGHLIGHT THE CONFUSED ATTITUDE OF SOME ROAD USERS TO THE ISSUE.
THE ARRAY OF COLOURFUL EXCUSES GIVEN REFLECTS WORRYINGLY ON THE ATTITUDES OF DRIVERS, SOME BLAMING THEIR EX-WIVES, BOSSES AND EVEN CHILDBIRTH.
THIS IS SURREY REPORT THAT IN ONE CASE, THE HONEST OFFENDER SAID: 'I AM ALWAYS USING IT. IT’S ABOUT TIME I GOT CAUGHT.'
ONE MOTORIST BEGGED THE OFFICER TO HELP HIM, SAYING: 'IT WAS MY EX-WIFE HARASSING ME - CAN YOU SPEAK TO HER?'
ANOTHER DRIVER BLAMED HIS EMPLOYER, ANNOUNCING THAT: 'MY BOSS CALLED TO SEE WHERE I WAS.'
ONE COLLARED FATHER-TO-BE BLAMED HIS BEHAVIOUR ON HIS UNBORN CHILD: 'I ANSWERED THE PHONE BECAUSE MY WIFE IS HAVING A BABY AND I THOUGHT SHE MAY HAVE GONE INTO LABOUR.'
IN A NUMBER OF CASES, THE DRIVER SEEMED UNAWARE WHAT USING THE PHONE AT THE WHEEL ENTAILED, ONE ARGUING 'I'M NOT ON THE PHONE, I AM LOOKING SOMETHING UP ON THE INTERNET', WHILE ANOTHER INCREDULOUSLY PLEADED: 'I WASN'T CALLING ANYONE, I WAS REPLYING TO AN EMAIL.'
ANOTHER OFFENDER SAID: 'I WAS JUST TELLING THEM I COULDN'T ANSWER AS I WAS DRIVING'.
ONE MAN, STOPPED FOR RUNNING A RED LIGHT, EVEN EXPLAINED HIS INFRACTION BY SAYING: 'SORRY, I DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE RED LIGHT, I WAS ON MY PHONE AT THE TIME.'
THE MOST PITIFUL EXCUSE OF ALL CAME FROM ONE DRIVER, WHO DEFENDED HIS USE OF THE PHONE AT THE WHEEL BY CLAIMING THAT HE WAS KEEPING HIS EAR WARM.

VIVA ROSSI?
DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU LOT THINK BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A CRACKIN’ OPENING WEEKEND FOR THE MOTO GP AT QATAR, ALL 3 RACES WERE EXCELLENT, I REALLY THOUGHT SCOTT REDDING WAS GONNA DO IT AT THE END OF THE MOTO2 RACE. NEVER MIND, HE’LL DEFFO WIN SOME THIS YEAR. AS FOR MOTO GP, WELL I SUPPOSE IT ON PAPER IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A SNORE FEST, EASY WIN FOR LORENZO, WHICH I GUESS IN REALITY IT SORTA WAS BUT BOY DID ROSSI BRING US BACK A BIT OF EXCITEMENT! I’VE ALWAYS BEEN A BIG VALE FAN BUT I MUST ADMIT TO WONDERING IF HE HAD STARTED LOSING IT A BIT, ESPECIALLY AT THE BEGINNING OF THE RACE WHEN HE LOOKED A TAD DESPERATE, THAT RED BIKE BEING IN FRONT OF HIM REALLY SEEMED TO BE AFFECTING HIM! ONCE HE SETTLED HIMSELF DOWN HE SEEMED TO BE BACK TO THE ROSSI OF OLD AND HOW MOTOGP NEEDS IT! MARQUEZ IS GONNA BE A FANTASTIC ADDITION TO THE BIG CLASS AS WELL, HE DOESN’T SEEM TO FEAR ANYONE AND IS FLYING, GOD HELP THE REST WHEN HE’S LEARNT TO RIDE THE THING PROPERLY! HOPEFULLY WE’RE IN FOR AN EXCITING SEASON!
I ENJOYED THE BSB RACES LAST WEEKEND BUT I REALLY DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY USE THE BRANDS HATCH INDIE CIRCUIT? IT JUST SEEMS A TOTAL ‘NOTHING’ OF A TRACK, 50 SEC LAPS, WHAT’S ALL THAT ABOUT? THE RIDERS MUST GET BLOODY DIZZY! CAN’T SEE THE POINT OF IT REALLY, SURELY THERE IS A BETTER PLACE THEY COULD HAVE THE OPENING ROUND, THE FULL CIRCUIT FOR A START, THAT’S FANTASTIC!
WSB WOULD SEEM TO BE AN APRILIA CUP AFTER THE FIRST WEEKEND AT PHILIP ISLAND BUT I’M SURE THERE’LL BE A FEW MORE BIKES IN THE MIX AT ARAGON. WHATEVER, IT’S JUST NICE TO HAVE SOME BIKES BACK ON THE TELLY. NOW WHERE’S THE REMOTE?
gamma498

Re: April 13 newsletter

Postby Tomb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Tomb

Re: April 13 newsletter

Postby Tomb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Tomb

Return to Club newsletters