NORTH O' THE BORDER 2012

Runs Listing

NORTH O' THE BORDER 2012

Postby bobg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Following last years almost dry trip to Scotland we plan to do the same in September. Dates yet to be confirmed but likely to be 6 days between 18th and 25th September.
Planned route is as follows:
Day 1: Ulverston to Perth
Day 2: Perth to Ullapool
Day 3: Ullapool to Skye
Day 4: Skye trip
Day 5: Skye to Helensburgh
Day 6: Helensburgh to Ulverston

If you're interested please let me or Clarky know at or befoe August 2nd club night.

Cheers,
BobG .....AKA "The Silver Fox"

Ride fast, ride safe
bobg

Re: NORTH O' THE BORDER 2012

Postby Tomb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm in.

My brother Jim is interested too.
Tomb

Postby nevw » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Rich & myself are definitely in.
Rob & Josh still to confirm. I Can't make this Thursday meeting, but should have firm no's for Aug 2nd.

Cheers,

Nev.
nevw

Postby nevw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:55 pm

UPDATE,

Rob's confirmed he's definitely in!
Still don't know about Josh yet,
nevw

Postby bobg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Great, that's 6 so far, possibly 8 with Josh and Tom's brother. Confirmed are:
Bob G; Clarky; Nev; Rich; Rob and Tom

Ride fast, ride safe
bobg

Postby bobg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:55 am

Just got back - what a fantastic trip. Great roads, great weather (most of the time), great food, great beer (and malts), great crack! Will write up a full account in due course.

Ride fast, ride safe
bobg

Postby Tomb » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I had a good trip up Scotland, I headed up on Friday prior to the UDMC trip to attend the White Tail Mull MCC rally on the Isle of Mull, I met up with my XS1100 club lot at the Oban ferry terminal, they'd missed their ferry to Mull, and looked miserable. The weather was so bad the ferries had been cancelled, I was booked on the 4pm ferry (£40 return :o how much!!! ;) ) which eventually docked for us to load on at 6pm. Once there the rally was great and folk were really nice. I don't think I'll bother again though.

On Sunday morning one of the XS1100 club lads' FJ1200 wouldn't start, his best buddy did the decent thing and said "see ya, I'm off to catch the ferry, byeeeee" I hung around and bump started him off down the lane so he made it to the ferry on time. Funny old world ain't it LOL

Mine flattened its battery trying splutter into life as well so a couple of other lads gave me a push to start, bit disappointed in the old thing as its normally so reliable.

After the rally I holed up in a great hostel for £16 a night until it was time to head off to the opposite coast to meet up with the lads in Dundee. Again my bike flattened its battery trying to stutter into life but the old dear landlady came to my rescue with jump leads. I texted Nev at home before they set off and asked him to bring my lightweight bike jump leads up with him, good job they did as one lads' CBR600 developed a problem as well.

Every time the slightest bit of rain mine wouldn't run on 1 + 4 cylinders, then later even when dry, anywhere below 3K rpm, above that it was OK so manageable, but bloody annoying, and wouldn't start every morning coz of it without jumping it (thanks Rich, I owe you a pint) once started for the first time it was Ok all day. I checked the ignition Pick-up wires which are a known culprit but they were good, much to my annoyance coz I thought I could cure it.

I got home OK yesterday without any dramas as all the way home is above 3K rpm, last night I put another coil on it and its fine again, why do they always wait till a trip away to give trouble????!

I've checked my old coil and theres a hairline crack in the casing about 10mm long, hardly visible until I'd cleaned it.

I had a great time with great lads and great roads, met some really nice folk up there, one particular hotelier (or should that be Motelier) we nicknamed Swiss Tony kept us entertained :roll: The best night was on Skye in Saucy Maries (sp?) where a live band did a great night even managing to get me and Nev up doing dad dancing :lol: :lol: with the young lads laughing at us :D

Looking forward to next year.

Tom

PS. Bob! 9:30
Tomb

Postby bobg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:24 pm

PPS: (Tom) What was the question?

Ride fast, ride safe
bobg

Postby bobg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:23 pm